DATE AND APPLE SLICE
This delicious slice can be made cooking the base and topping simultaneously then assembling by mushing the fruit, spreading it over the base, topping with grated crumbs and cooking till the crumbs are cooked.
½ cup plain flour
½ cup almond meal
1 tsp bicarb
½ tsp mixed spice
1 cup rolled oats
2 Tbs honey
1 egg yolk
1 ½ cups chopped dried dates
2 tsp grated orange or lime peel
1/3 cup orange or lime juice
1 cup (375g) granny smith apples
6 Australian apricots (tart)
1. Melt butter in solar oven while collecting the ingredients
2. Peel, core and cut up apples into ~ 2cm cube size pieces, chop dates and apricots, juice orange or lime.
3. Put fruit in a casserole, lid on, in the oven to stew.
4. Paper and oil 30 x 20 cm cake tin
5. Mix flour, almond meal, bicarb and spice in a large mixing bowl. Stir in softened or melted butter until crumbly
6. Add oats, stir
7. Make a well in centre, add honey and yolk, mix with fingers until combined and soft.
8. Press 2/3 of flour mixture into base of tin, smooth surface. Cook in oven.
9. Shape remaining mixture into a ball and freeze.
To make filling
10. Mush stewed fruit and spread over cooked base
11. Grate frozen mixture over fruit layer
12 Place in solar oven, cook until brown.
13 Cool in tray, cut into 20 fingers